Immediate Supervisor: Plant Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Cheese Maker is responsible for overseeing the cheese making process to produce a finished product which meets or exceeds the requirements of cheese standards and those of the customer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all functions associated with processing milk into cheese within the guidelines of the standard operating procedures.
- Follows a specific recipe and time constraints to achieve optimum yields.
- Safely and effectively operate pasteurizing equipment.
- Control cheese culture using time and temperatures with good manufacturing programs.
- Understand the function, application and use of cultures, molds, coagulants, enzymes and milk.
- Knowledgeable in cleaning chemical application and safety.
- Ensure proper knowledge of Critical Control Point.
- Perform sanitation requirements and master sanitation schedules.
- Keeps accurate records of all actions, runs accurate tests and takes accurate samples.
- Clean and sanitize equipment according to procedures.
- Document chemical concentrations.
- Evaluates performance of Cheese Maker Assistant and trains and coaches as needed.
- Assist in any other areas of the manufacturing plant when necessary.
- Cheese Maker License
- Pasteurizer Operator Certification
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent skills by experience.
- Must be able to read, interpret and understand written and oral directions.
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Must demonstrate basic math skills to calculate production yields, and understand weights and measures.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and weekends.
- Must be able to verbally communicate, understand, and write in the English language.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms on a repetitive basis. The employee must be able to lift, bend, stoop, push/pull exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds frequently and/or up to 20 pounds constantly to move objects. Requires visual acuity to review written documentations; ability to hear and understand speech. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level. There is exposure to a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, and exposure to heat/cold temperature changes.