Packager (General Laborer) Wheels & Loaves
Immediate Supervisor: Plant Manager, Packaging and Warehouse Supervisor, and Packaging Foreman
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Packager performs all or any cheese packaging tasks required to package cheese per company specifications and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand and follow through to assure daily packaging schedule is completed in a cost-effective manner.
- Using established packaging standards bag or box cheese and place in proper storage.
- Complete all jobs assigned.
- Inspect all equipment to assure proper operation and safety.
- Follow operational procedures and complete required paperwork.
- Ensure sanitation, safety, GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices) and quality policies and procedures are followed.
- Follow all safety procedures.
- Assist Packaging Leader in training new employees for job specific tasks in packaging area.
- Ensure accurate counts and weights on production are recorded.
Communicate with supervisor and/or peers on customer orders and needs as necessary.
- Assure operator check lists, calibrations, etc. are completed as required.
Accountable for proper operation and maintenance of equipment (i.e. scale, printer, sealers, crumbler, etc.).
- Report any non-compliant, defective, or sub-standard product immediately to Packaging Leader.
- Assist with clean-up and sanitation responsibilities.
- Assist in any other areas of the manufacturing plant when necessary.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent skills by experience.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and understand written and oral directions.
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Must demonstrate basic math skills to calculate production yields, and understand weights and measures.
- Must be able to verbally communicate, understand, and write in the English language.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and weekends.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, or walk for prolonged periods of time. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms on a repetitive basis. The employee must be able to lift, bend, stoop, push/pull exerting up to 20 pounds constantly to move objects. Requires visual acuity to review written documentations; ability to hear and understand speech. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level. There is exposure to a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, and exposure to heat/cold temperature changes.